Friday, May 6, 2011

Decadent chocolate toasted muesli


I've been doing too much baking recently. I know this because we have leftovers. Yes, leftovers! Even hubby hasn't managed to keep up with the pace of my baking.
Toasting muesli is the antidote to this problem - I still get to 'bake', it's healthier, lasts for ages in an airtight jar, and can be happily eaten multiple times in the day. Some of my readers will already know that I am a muesli addict, see here and here.

I'm not really a chocolate for breakfast kind of gal, but this recipe only calls for a tablespoon of cocoa, and no added sugar. I used my favourite Green & Blacks Dutch style cocoa, it has a real chocolate kick that you don't get from all cocoa powder. I just wish it wasn't so hard to find - I have to make a special trip to About Life in Rozelle, although that is one of my favourite foodie destinations so it's not a true hardship.


Decadent chocolate toasted muesli, adapted from What Katie Ate 

Ingredients:

500g rolled oats
60g oat bran
50g shredded coconut
100g pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
100g sunflower seeds
100g almonds
100g cashew nuts
1/4 cup vegetable or nut oil (I used peanut)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
100g raisins
2 Tbs good quality cocoa powder


Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 150 celsius.
Mix the dry ingredients (oats, oat bran, shredded coconut, pepitas, sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews and cocoa powder) together, then divide into 2 bowls.
Gently heat the vegetable oil with the honey and maple syrup until it becomes a consistent and runny liquid.
Pour half the liquid over each bowl, and mix until there are no clumps.
Place on two baking tray (lined with baking paper) and spread evenly so it will bake at a consistent rate. Each of the two bowls should fill a baking tray.
Place in the oven for 90 minutes, checking every fifteen minutes or so. Move the muesli around the tray as the edge parts will brown quite quickly.

Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.

Enjoy with milk, as a crumble-like topping on stewed fruit, with yogurt or ice cream. 



The little girl really enjoyed this muesli too - not so surprising, I think she is joining me as a chocoholic.


I decided to make half this recipe 'blonde', so without cocoa powder. It's lovely too, just doesn't do that cocoa pops like thing of 'turning the milk chocolatey' 


5 comments:

  1. We have a freezer full of leftovers too, same problem - my hubby normally takes them for lunch but i've overtaken him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love toasted muesli especially -I just don't like it untoasted. I'm such a fusspot that way. This looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally understand Lorraine, although I feel so virtuous when I eat the untoasted stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love toasted muesli too, if I have untoasted, I would add an extra dallop of honey for good measure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooooh yum :) great work here lady! Thanks for the Green & Blacks Dutch style cocoa tip! I will hunt that one out. There's nothing like proper Dutch cocoa :)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments!